Espersen was founded in Denmark in 1937 with the purpose of taking advantage of the abundance of cod in the Baltic Sea region. The company was established by J.P.A. Espersen with its first premises on Bornholm, an island in the middle of the Baltic Sea.
Since then, constant growth has transformed it into one of the world´s most important white fish processing corporations with a staff of more than 1100 employees in modern production plants in Denmark, Poland, Lithuania and China.
Among its milestones, Espersen was the first food processing company in Europe to establish its own laboratories to monitor quality control.
In 1971 the entire equity capital of Espersen was turned over to “Direktør J.P.A. Espersen og hustru, fru Dagny Espersens Fond”. The yield of the Foundation contributes with financial investments to Espersen and is distributed among charity organisations.